Natural Vitamin C from Camu Camu Extract
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C (also ascorbic acid) is synthesized from D-glucose by higher plants and animals. However, primates (humans, great apes), guinea pigs, elephants and some bird species are not capable of ascorbic acid synthesis because they lack an important enzyme (L-gulonolactone oxidase). In mammals, ascorbic acid is produced in the liver, birds, reptiles and amphibians in the kidney.
Vitamin C has a highly reducing effect and is therefore an effective radical scavengers as an antioxidant, but is very sensitive to atmospheric oxygen and heating. As a coenzyme, it has a key position in the biosynthesis of collagen, therefore the symptoms of scurvy (vitamin C deficiency) consist in disorders of collagen metabolism (cracked skin, tendency to bleeding, changes in bone structure, tooth loss).
Ascorbic acid exerts a protective effect on many vitamins, it promotes iron absorption in the small intestine and is involved in many dioxygenase (e.g. collagen synthesis) and hydroxylation reactions (e.g. formation of glucocorticoids in the adrenal cortex). It strengthens the immune system against bacterial and viral infections by boosting the production of antibodies and the body’s own interferon synthesis (interferons are glycoproteins that have cytostatic properties and provide the body’s own cells with protection against viruses) and influences the function of lymphocytes.
What is Camu Camu?
Camu Camu (also Myrciaria dubia) is the most vitamin C fruit on the planet. Mature fruits of these plants contain 30 – 50 times more vitamin C than oranges and thus serve excellently as a natural source of vitamin C.
The plant is native to the western Amazon region, primarily in Peru. The Camu-Camu shrub is up to six metres high and produces orange-red fruits from December to April.
Blog posts with Vitamin C
All products in the Glastiegel
Our products are all filled in Braunglastiegel in pharmacist quality. This offers some advantages:
- Glass does not react with the elements. It is non-toxic, heat-stable and no particles, such as microplastics, dissolve
- Brown glass reliably protects against oxidation and UV radiation
- No oil has to be used for production
- Glass is 100 recyclable
|Nutrients||Per daily dose (1 capsule)||Nrv|
|Camu Camu||500.0 mg||–|
|of which vitamin C||125.0 mg||156%|
Camu Camu extract (25 vitamin C), coating agent: hydroxypropyl methylcellulose.
The following statements on the effect of vitamin C ingredients are permissible according to EFSA (European Food Safety Authority):
- contributes to the reduction of fatigue and fatigue
- contributes to normal mental function
- contributes to the regeneration of the reduced form of vitamin E
- contributes to normal energy metabolism
- contributes to normal immune function (physical defense)
- contributes to normal functioning of the nervous system
- helps protect cells from oxidative stress
- contributes to normal collagen formation for normal blood vessel function
- contributes to normal collagen formation for normal bone function
- contributes to normal collagen formation for normal cartilage function
- contributes to normal collagen formation for normal function of the teeth
- contributes to normal collagen formation for normal gum function
- contributes to normal collagen formation for normal skin function
- increases iron absorption
- contributes to a normal function of the immune system (physical defense) during and after intense physical activity
Due to current EU legislation, the promotion of foods or dietary supplements for their health benefits is only possible to a limited extent. This allows us to make only health-related statements to end users that are subject to EFSA’s Health Claims Regulation (European Food Safety Authority).